Monday, June 22, 2009

Posting from Paula's physical therapist

I first treated Paula for a back condition that kept her up at night and off of the ice (barely). I was both impressed at her athletic ability and frustrated by this mature athlete who didn’t get the idea of rest. Once we established that it was just a vertebrae nearly falling out of the spinal column, Paula began bargaining for skate time. “I promise no jumps-of course the double lutz is out-Nationals is coming up soon-maybe just some singles-I design and make my outfits so I can build a back brace in…”. We were able to reposition and stabilize the independently minded bone and Paula returned with another trophy and a video that really showed me what adult skating could be.
While continuing to manage Paula’s spinal integrity, I was fortunate enough to learn more about her endless list of talents. All who have seen her gardens know how her bond with soil and sunshine coaxed amazing blooms into being. Her generosity with gardening tips and flowers extended even to insisting that we borrow a truck when our family vehicle needed repair. I will be blessed next spring to witness the emergence of some bulbs that she gave us just a few months ago.
I’ve always looked forward to seeing Paula, to watching new stories of dance exploits acted out (you can never explain an injury without re-creating it). Her passions weren’t just worn on her sleeve. They exuded out of her. There was laughter mixed with contempt once when Paula was judging the Ventura county fair vegetables. She had found “prize winning” tomatoes with the produce sticker still on from the grocery store. This spring Paula spun in joy with her hands on her heart as she related the warmth and energy gathered up in her new greenhouse.
This year Paula presented with a new and more challenging injury. Again, after the proper diagnosis and prompt surgery, she was irrepressible in her desire to resume activity. I have been constantly reminded by Paula as to why I chose the field of sports medicine as a career. I am grateful and fortunate to have been able to help an athlete who truly lived the joy of movement.

1 comment:

  1. Paula's PT captured the essence of Paula and wove it into a lovely tribute. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete