Monday, June 8, 2009

June 8, 2009 10:37 AM

Some good news today. Paula has been accepted into the Oakview Nursing Care Facility ( http://www.visitoakview.com/) which is part of University Village, a community where Paula and I had hoped to retire to. Oakview is about 15 minutes from our home and is next to the swimming pool where I swim and coach at California Lutheran University. She will spend her remaining time at a place she and I both had hoped to.

Paula's mom and sister are here as well as my brother. They have been more support for me and Paula than I could ever have hoped for. I owe them more than I can ever repay.

Over the last day Paula's seizures have continued and have come at quicker intervals. She also, for the first time, had a seizure on the right hand side of her body which we are told may mean the disease has moved to the left side of her brain. We are doing everything possible to keep her comfortable during her remaining days, however long they may be.

Over the last few days we have read and heard stories about Paula. We have all, especially Paula's mom, found these to be very comforting. Please keep them coming. They are helpful in this time.

Thank you all again for the posts, emails and phone calls. They are appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Coach Jeff. I cannot express in words how sorry I am to hear the news of the disease. Although I have never met your wife, I am sure she is as wonderful and kind of a soul as you are. I can offer you my love, support and prayers during this very tough time for you, your wife and family. I wish we had the powers to change these things. Please know that you are all in my thoughts. Julie Flores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a page on Facebook created for everyone to share thoughts and stories.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paula-Smart/88261514375?ref=share

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, I am heartsick to learn of Paula's illness. Though I am not a skater, her energy, enthusiasm for, and dedication to, skating inspired me in other areas of my own life. Please tell her that Jan is thinking of her. I will keep both of you, as well as the rest of your families, in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jeff,

    Jim and I of course have been in shock since hearing the news. We are so deeply sorry and sad about this - well, no language is sufficient to convey these feelings, as you know. However, we feel very, very lucky to know Paula and you and have you as part of our extended family for all these years. Paula is such an inspiring person with her wonderful energy and spirit...her enthusiasm for life just lit up the room and you couldn't help but catch the glow. I remember when Siobhan wanted to take up sewing, Paula was right there to help try to nurture that impulse and get her involved....having us over to see all her work, demonstrating technique and then giving Siobhan a machine! Just one of the thousands or millions of ways she touched people's lives and tried to help or make a difference.

    Jeff, I know you've got a lot of people around to help you with the dogs, house etc...but if you need ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL - I MEAN IT, please don't hesitate to call upon us. We are close by, we love dogs, I can handle roses, whatever!! My cell is 805-217-8346.

    We love you, Paula and Jeff, and are thinking of you and keeping you in our hearts.

    Tracey & Jim Gilmore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, thanks for keeping us informed. All of us who have been touched by Paula's energy and love of life are now sending back positive thoughts for strength and peace. I've been priveledged to help Paula treat a number of sports injuries (more stories to come later), and I know that her spirit continues to soar in spite of her mind's condition. All of us here at Custom PT are keeping you and your family in our hearts. Dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff, Charlie and Kathy Fisher here; were so sorry to hear about the battle Paula is facing. Josh Miller was kind enough to pass along your blog to us. We want you to know that we have added both of you to our prayers and wish you the very best.
    Charlie Fisher, Kinko's Alumni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff we at Masters Swimming are all in disbelief right now. Our love and payers are with you both and we are here to help. Paula has been an inspiration to me to get running on the treadmill and not just swimming :). Love to you both- Nancy Reno

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jeff,
    I am so sorry to hear about Paula. I have been out of touch for so so long with the skating world. As I sit here reading this I can not help but remember her talking me into skating in my first skating competition and I can still hear her screaming for me to smile. God bless her and the family.
    Karen Melchionne

    ReplyDelete