Thursday, June 11, 2009

June 11, 2009 - 8:30 AM

Yesterday was a busy day. Many friends from swimming, dancing, skating, Keeshond rescue and just plain old friends were there most of the day. They are too numerous to list but I want to publicly thank them all for taking time to visit with Paula.

Several of my fellow swimmers came on Tuesday evening to reassure Paula that they would make sure I dragged my butt to the pool to swim. They even suggested (threatened) that they would send someone to my house at 5 am to drag me out of bed if I did not show up. I know it is not an idle threat and I appreciate that.

Her current skating coach showed up on Tuesday evening also and as she heard his voice she began to move her arms into a position as if she was getting ready to jump - so she knows we are there with her.

Yesterday several friends came and read the postings from the Facebook page and we all shared stories. They seemed to be most interested in how we met (I was 15 at the time and she was 19). This is definitely a story for another day. Just know that I saw what I wanted and went after it and have never regretted it.

Dawn, who we consider our daughter, visited with us most of yesterday. She has been my rock of Gibralter through this and I can never repay her. I just want her to know she is appreciated and loved by Paula and me.

Tom, my brother, and Deen, Paula's mom continue to be here with me on a daily basis as I move through the phases and have to make decisions. I am so grateful they are here. One of the decisions that has been made is to donate whatever can be used to UCLA for research on this very rare disease. It is what Paula would have wanted.

Paula's cousin from Toronto, Mark, made it in last night. He will be here a few days and spent some time with Paula last night.

I stayed the night in her room last night and I can tell everyone with 100% certainty she rested peacefully and is comfortable, I saw it with my own eyes.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the emails, phone calls and posts. While I am unable to answer all of them please know that I do read them and they are helping me to get through this.

Jeff

2 comments:

  1. Jeff,

    I am at a complete loss for words. There are no words to comfort, just know that you and Paula are on my heart and mind. Your courage and spirit through this is admirable. I will pray for continued strength for what I can only imagine is the most difficult time of your life. I am here if you need anything.

    Much love,
    Shar'ee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    I am praying for Paula and you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

    Wadi

    ReplyDelete