Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 10, 2009 - 8:33 AM

Yesterday was a day of transition. Paula has settled in to Oakview. The private nurses we had hired have been replaced by the hospice nurses. She still has someone with her 24/7 and I am just a phone call away.

We sat with the hospice nurse last evening to review what to expect as Paula takes the last part of her journey. While very hard to hear it will be helpful as things begin to unfold.

Yesterday evening we took one of Paula's dogs (Scarlett) to visit with her. While probably confusing to Scarlett she did manage to give Paula a couple of kisses and reached for her hand to hold. All in all it was a good thing.

We had many visitors yesterday. While I was not actually there every time someone came to visit the nurses have been keeping me informed of your visits. We thank you.

I have found that Paula and I have an amazing support group - skaters, swimmers, dancers, dog rescuers, coaches, relatives and friends. I could not do what I am doing right now without them, and as I have told many of them, I will need them even more when Paula moves on.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome people attract a crowd of friends. You and Paula have touched many, many people. Feel the love and support. We are all here for you....Take care.

    Kris O'Connor (Leslie too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jeff and Paula,

    My heart is aching daily for you both and everyone who knows and loves you. I'm so saddened that my little Paula, who has always been our pillar of strength in the skating world, has been hit by such a dreadful disease.

    In the 15 years that I've known Paula, I have watched her grow into an amazing skater and champion. She has been the fighting force behind our Adult Skating world as we know it today. I have seen her push for everything she believes in for Adult Skaters and succeed. She is one AWESOME woman...and I love her so much.

    One of my favorite memories of Paula, is when I had foot surgery and she came to stay with me to help out. She took me to Descanso Gardens and we laughed our heads off as she tried to push me around in a wheelchair over the dirt paths. Paula is "love" and always has time to give it to others.

    Jeff, your love and commitment to Paula has known no bounds...you are amazing. I love you both and pray for you every day.

    Whatever you may need...I will always be available.

    Lorrie Cahail

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have any immediate needs let me know.
    Dog-sitting, meals, whatever... Feel free to contact me at sharidan@me.com.

    Sending my love to you and Paula,
    Sharidan Williams-Sotelo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff,
    I'm thinking of you both so often these days since I heard that your Paula is sick.
    You've been such a kind supportive friend and coach.
    We all wish we could help you in the way you are always here for us.
    Paula has the same support in the skating world, doesn't she?
    Both very special to so many.
    Your friends are along side you.
    Ahelee

    ReplyDelete